Sunday, February 19, 2006

From the back section!


Sort of an update to my test article for Newsvine. Which I’m not very impressed by at the moment. The fault with Newsvine is that it strives to be a community discussion group with topics and articles for debate coming from independent writers like myself. The problem is, in order to get a decent back and forth going, Newsvine needs a large pool of readers with the desire to speak. I’m sure the service will get there eventually, and I love the concept, but it’s not there yet.

I’ve decided to have a little fun today and share some great music.

If you read the Newsvine article I wrote a few weeks ago, you already know why their new documentary is so monumental in terms of information flow and content generation. The band has taken the concept creative content creation and placed it square in the hands of the consumer of that content.

Great music and a documentary. What’s not to like?

What I said then:
“As technology has improved so has the cost come down of consumer cameras and media creation equipment. As little as ten years ago, such an endevor would have been deemed to expensive and far to distant from the vicinity of "the box." See, we say we want to think outside the box, but truth be told we'd be happy just in the shadow of the box.

There's been much made of the "I want it now culture" of new media, but no one has attempted it on such a level. (Full discloure time: I'm a long time fan of the band so I might have bias in my praise.) For the first time, on such a scale (not considering documentary films and similar news magazine stories), the consumer of media is creating the media. It should make for a fun footnote in music and technology history.”
On to the update. The “boys” have made there introduction of "Awesome" at the Sundance Premiere since the last time I wrote about the film.

If you’re interested, check out part 1 and part 2 of the Beastie Boys "Awesome" Sundance Q&A.

They’ve also appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman to promote the documentary. Once again they rocked it like only they do. Taking the concept of the documentary, the Late Show audience was handed cameras and the nights performance became a live clip for the larger work. Adding to the amusement, band leader Paul Shaffer and Letterman himself also grabbed a camera.

Of course no discussion is complete with out a fisheye shot.

But it’s not the first time Dave’s welcomed the boys or the last. In my book they had one of the greatest TV performances ever (it’s in a tie for first with Bruce Springsteen's takeover of Late Night with Conan O’Brien in my book). It's so good I've refused to delete it from my Tivo.

Enjoy!

Bonus hidden track: One of the greatest videos ever created!

And while we’re at it, I’d be remiss to forget MixMaster Mike.

Ah heck, one more.