Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Birds on a wire




San Antonio seems to be under some flight path for many migrating animals. Last spring there were tons of grackles, I'd never seen them before but they look like something between a raven and a crow, and some of them are pretty mean to as you'll see in this video. A couple months ago we were inundated with moths, they were everywhere and around sunset they filled the sky. I never got a good picture of them though (sorry no link... sigh... I've failed you Roberto, Daniel and my mom... because seriously y'all are the only ones reading this), they were so small that by the time you got a good look they had already run into your face. Around that same time came the monarch butterflies.

Well, the latest critter to fill our skies has been these birds, which I am still not sure what kind they are, but they are everywhere. A year ago when I lived in Midland, Mich I had a very similar experience when groups of crows started showing up and filling every single tree around my home, and I thought that was amazing, but this now is insane. They're on every perchable surface imaginable, poles, signs, freeway mediums, buildings, wires, cars, post office boxes... you get the idea. It's like the playground scene out of the birds. And what fascinates me is how they all seem to keep an equal distance from each other on all those surfaces. It's like they all carry around a ruler to measure it out.

Nature huh?

Labels: