Sunday, March 12, 2006

Raw tracks for your mixing pleasure, sign of things to come?

It doesn't have much to do with photojournalism, but I'm a sucker for this stuff. A DJ to an audience of none, but I rock my headphones from time to time with my own homemade mixes and samples.

Fort Minor, by way off a partnership between its label Warner Brothers and Creative Commons, has posted raw studio tracks for a remix contest. The contest doesn't interest me much, but having raw studio elements readily available is pretty exciting.

If you're still scratching your head... Fort Minor, is a side project of Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda.

Aside from the novelty, it's a big step in making music available for creative use in non-commercial endeavors. What's that mean for us? Well as students, we may soon be able to use copyrighted music legally in our photo projects. From slideshows to long form documentaries, if you've ever attempted to create a presentation, you'll quickly realize that the audio is just as critical to the product as the visuals.
But in the meantime, if you're like me, then you'll want to download these raw tracks and get to mixing.